Prader Willi Syndrome is a complex genetic condition. Affected individuals develop an insatiable appetite and chronic overeating that result in rapid weight gain. People with Prader Willi Syndrome typically have intellectual disability, learning disabilities, or behavioral problems.
Our Maplewood program is specifically designed for residents with Prader-Willi Syndrome and provides rapid-response approach to the treatment needs of children and adults diagnosed with PWS.
We offer an effectively designed and secure kitchen and dining area, exercise room and peer to peer support. Our level of care is only possible through the incredible commitment and passion of our staff. Our team cares about each and every one of the individuals for whom we provide support and works to create programs that open eyes, stimulate minds and unlock human potential. From trips to sporting and theater events, to on-campus activities like swimming and horseback-riding, we strive to help them live each day to the fullest!
We are committed to:
- Continuous monitoring of the health of individuals with PWS, relying on our team of on-site nurses and physicians.
- Helping people with PWS safely lose excess body weight and then support them in maintaining a healthy weight.
- Teaching healthy food choices and strict control over diets.
- Creating exercise programs that are fun and help them build stamina and encourage daily exercise.
- Helping people with PWS develop strong social skills including how to get along with others.
Our staff are well trained in the dynamics of Prader Willi Syndrome and provide a strong goal-oriented program of dietary awareness and the importance of exercise, while addressing the daily behavioral challenges facing the individuals we serve. Our staff and individuals with PWS together strive towards the maximum potential for each person. We excel at ensuring each resident with PWS enjoys a sense of accomplishment and success at their own learning pace.